Florida Domain Name Lawyer
With the explosive rise of the Internet as the ideal forum for promoting a company’s goods and services, it has never been more crucial for business owners to protect their intellectual property online. This starts with your domain name, the address of your website, which is of critical importance and substantial value.
Considering the role your domain name plays in your company’s business, you should contact our team at MAVEN® IP to tackle complicated issues regarding protection and enforcement. With more than 60 years of combined legal and paralegal experience, we have developed sound strategies for registering, monitoring, and enforcing your rights in this unique type of intellectual property.
Overview Of Domain Names
In general, MAVEN® IP can assist with domain names in three (3) ways: registrations, transactions, and disputes. Conflicts often arise over ownership of a domain name, since internet addresses are unique. A company that wins the race to registration will be considered the owner, but such acts may constitute trademark infringement. Situations of domain name hijacking and cybersquatting are common, where a company registers domain names that it knows has value to other organizations – and then sells them at a profit.
Some of the specific policies, organizations, and measures that pertain to domain names include:
- The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), a nonprofit organization that registers, coordinates, and maintains domain names;
- ICANN’s Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP), which works to resolve disputes over domain names; and
- The Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act (ACPA) that provides a cause of action against a company that uses bad faith to profit from a domain name.
Our Domain Name Services
Whether a company has registered a domain using your trademark or is claiming your website address as its own, our attorneys at MAVEN® IP will protect your interests. We are experienced at enforcement actions before various tribunals, including UDRP proceedings. Remedies may include cancellation or transfer of an infringing domain name, but you could be entitled to monetary damages in some cases. In addition, our Florida domain names attorneys are prepared to assist with:
- Obtaining trademark protection for your domain name;
- Registering, managing, and monitoring your domains to assess potential infringement; and
- Transactions related to domain names, including sales, purchases, assignments, and licenses.
Discuss Your Needs With Our Florida Domain Names Lawyers
Our team at MAVEN® IP represents clients of all sizes and in many different market sectors, so we have amassed considerable experience over several years of practice. If you have questions or need advice with a domain name matter, please contact MAVEN® IP by calling 305.967.7450 or toll-free at 855.636.2836 to schedule a free 15-minute consultation with a knowledgeable Florida domain name attorney who can review your circumstances and provide you with some initial guidance.