Janet C. Moreira, Esq. | Founder and Attorney
I have extensive experience assisting clients with the creation of trademark and branding strategies and developing action plans to maximize value and protection – domestically and internationally. I have helped clients expand their trademark portfolios from 5 brands to 50 brands worldwide. I work with companies that range from start-ups, to companies with annual sales of less than $200k, to companies with annual sales of more than $200 million. Regardless of size, my approach and service to each customer is the same with the same goal in mind – expand brand protection in a manner that fits each unique business.
I regularly negotiate and prepare intellectual property licenses, releases, contractor agreements, marketing agreements, vendor agreements, confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements, and other agreements relating to intellectual property issues. I look forward to the opportunity to assist you with your I.P. needs.
- The UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE – FRANKLIN PIERCE LAW CENTER, Concord, NH Juris Doctor, May 2002.
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE, Durham, NH Bachelor of Science, May 1995 Major: Business Administration / Minors: Marketing and Spanish
- Successfully negotiated resolution of numerous infringement disputes involving trade dress, trademark, and copyright counterfeiting issues, generic marks, common law rights, and domain names
- Successfully argued against the entry of preliminary injunction in a copyright infringement lawsuit relating to technical drawings
- Successfully obtained transfer of domain name in Uniform Domain Name Dispute Proceeding before the National Arbitration Forum on the basis of client’s common law rights in trademark
- Successfully argued, on appeal to the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, reversal of refusal to register mark based on geographical descriptiveness
- Successfully negotiated a trademark consent agreement on behalf of a real estate developer in connection with the contemporaneous use and registration of similar marks, resulting in federal registration
- Working knowledge of Spanish
- International and domestic trademark portfolio management, registration, clearance, and licensing
- Uniform Domain Name Dispute (UDRP), Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB), and federal court litigation
- Contract review, preparation, and negotiation (e.g. technology, public relations vendors, licensing)
- Development of trademark/trade dress protection programs, brand manuals; review of advertising materials
- Franchise contract review, franchisee compliance
- Former Shareholder and Lead Intellectual Property Prosecution Attorney of Stearns Weaver Miller Weissler Alhadeff & Sitterson, P.A.
- Former associate with intellectual property boutique, Lott & Friedland, P.A.
- Florida Bar Board Certified Specialist– Intellectual Property Law, 2008-present
- Florida Bar Intellectual Property Certification Committee, 2009-2015
- Florida Super Lawyers – 2014-2019
- Florida Super Lawyers Rising Star – 2010, 2011, 2012
- Miami Children’s Museum, Board Member, 2012-2017.
- Florida Bar Intellectual Property Certification Committee, Committee Member, 2009-2015
- International Trademark Association Emerging Issues Committee, 2012-2014
- Southern Regional Entertainment and Sports Law Conference, Panelist and Speaker, 2005-2007, 2009
- International Trademark Association Law Firm Committee, 2020-2021