Janet C. Moreira, Esq. | Founder and Attorney
I have been practicing exclusively in the area of intellectual property for twenty (20) years and am a Florida Board-Certified Attorney specializing in the area of Intellectual Property. I also currently sit on the Florida Bar’s Intellectual Property Certification Committee. My practice involves most aspects of intellectual property focusing on trademarks, domain names, and copyrights and specifically, international trademark portfolio counseling and management, trademark clearance, trademark and copyright prosecution, maintenance and intellectual property enforcement.
I have extensive experience assisting clients with the creation of trademark and branding strategies and developing action plans to maximize value and protection – domestically and internationally. I have helped clients expand their trademark portfolios from 5 brands to 50 brands worldwide. I work with companies that range from start-ups, to companies with annual sales of less than $200k, to companies with annual sales of more than $200 million. Regardless of size, my approach and service to each customer is the same with the same goal in mind – expand brand protection in a manner that fits each unique business.
I regularly negotiate and prepare intellectual property licenses, releases, contractor agreements, marketing agreements, vendor agreements, confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements, and other agreements relating to intellectual property issues. I look forward to the opportunity to assist you with your I.P. needs.
- The UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE – FRANKLIN PIERCE LAW CENTER, Concord, NH Juris Doctor, May 2002.
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE, Durham, NH Bachelor of Science, May 1995 Major: Business Administration / Minors: Marketing and Spanish
- Successfully negotiated resolution of numerous infringement disputes involving trade dress, trademark, and copyright counterfeiting issues, generic marks, common law rights, and domain names
- Successfully argued against the entry of preliminary injunction in a copyright infringement lawsuit relating to technical drawings
- Successfully obtained transfer of domain name in Uniform Domain Name Dispute Proceeding before the National Arbitration Forum on the basis of client’s common law rights in trademark
- Successfully argued, on appeal to the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, reversal of refusal to register mark based on geographical descriptiveness
- Successfully negotiated a trademark consent agreement on behalf of a real estate developer in connection with the contemporaneous use and registration of similar marks, resulting in federal registration
- Working knowledge of Spanish
- International and domestic trademark portfolio management, registration, clearance, and licensing
- Uniform Domain Name Dispute (UDRP), Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB), and federal court litigation
- Contract review, preparation, and negotiation (e.g. technology, public relations vendors, licensing)
- Development of trademark/trade dress protection programs, brand manuals; review of advertising materials
- Franchise contract review, franchisee compliance
- Former Shareholder and Lead Intellectual Property Prosecution Attorney of Stearns Weaver Miller Weissler Alhadeff & Sitterson, P.A.
- Former associate with intellectual property boutique, Lott & Friedland, P.A.
- Florida Bar Board Certified Specialist– Intellectual Property Law, 2008-present
- Florida Super Lawyers – 2014-2019
- Florida Super Lawyers Rising Star – 2010, 2011, 2012
- Florida Bar Intellectual Property Certification Committee, Committee Member, 2009-2015, 2022-2023
- International Trademark Association Law Firm Committee, 2020-2021
- Miami Children’s Museum, Board Member, 2012-2017.
- International Trademark Association Emerging Issues Committee, 2012-2014
- Southern Regional Entertainment and Sports Law Conference, Panelist and Speaker, 2005-2007, 2009